Junior Jiu-jitsu Classes - Martial Arts for Kids (8-10 Years Old)
Our Junior Jiu-jitsu classes are 1 hour long, giving kids plenty of time to burn off energy and have tons of fun doing it. They’ll learn a variety of skills, including hand strikes, kicks, blocks, throws/takedowns, etc to defend against a variety of attacks, such as punches, body grabs, ground attacks and more. Our training integrates all aspects of physical fitness, including coordination, agility, endurance, strength, flexibility, and balance, which will set them up for the rest of their lives.
Days & Times: Saturdays, 12:15 - 1:15pm.
Membership Fees: $150 plus one-time $40 admin fee (Includes uniform & belt).
A Typical Junior Jiu-jitsu Class
1) Warm-up. We warm students up mentally with breathing exercises then do one of many types of cardio exercises, including skipping, running, and/or fun games that get them moving. This is followed by joint rotations and gentle movement stretches to help prepare their bodies for training. This is then followed by exercises/games that develop their strength, endurance, coordination etc.
3) Striking/Blocking Techniques. In this part of the class, students train in a number of striking techniques on padded targets or through partner drills, including kicks, open & closed hand strikes, knee & elbow strikes, as well as blocking techniques.
4) Breakfalls. This is by far one of the most practical, "real-world" skills people can learn from a martial art. Not only does it teach them how to fall safely when training Jiu-jitsu takedowns and throws, it also helps protect them when they fall in day-to-day life, from slipping on ice to snowboarding or cycling wipe-outs.
5) Applied Self-Defense. Working in partners or small groups, students learn how to apply self-defense skills against a variety of attacks, including body holds & grabs, punches, ground encounters, etc. We also discuss the contexts in which physical techniques should (or shouldn’t) be used. All the self-defense techniques we teach are designed to be in line with the 4 Principles of Can-Ryu: Simplicity, Commonality of Technique, Gross Motor Skills, and Awareness of Additional Threats. More details about these principles.
6) Stretching. At the end of class, we go through a series of body stretches to help relax the body and calm the mind.
While class is in session, parents can relax, enjoy a complimentary cup of tea or coffee and watch their child learn from our comfortable upstairs lounge. Parents who are students in our adult program are welcome to come out on the mats and help out with the class. More info about family discounts.
100% Money-Back Guarantee*
Try a Class FREE!
Interested in signing up your child try our Junior Jiu-jitsu program, but want to see how your child likes it first? You're more than welcome to bring them out for the first class of the semester to try it free with no obligation, within the first 3 weeks of the program start. Simply contact us ahead of time to let us know.
If you have any questions about this program, please email us or call 604.724.5278 for more information. New students can enrol online. Parents of students previously enrolled should contact us to avoid re-paying the one time administration fee.